Monday, May 24, 2010

Swensens

Hi, I'm guest writer Yu Ying writing about my birthday meal at Swensens!
As it is my 21st Birthday, my family and I decided to go to Swensens at Changi Airport because we gian the free Firehouse ice cream for birthday girl. To our pleasant surprise, the person told us in the birthday promo, for every 3 main course ordered the 4th one is free! Great!




Here is the list of main course to choose from:


Not much variety though, the all time favourite Curry Baked Rice is not inside.

Appetizer:
For Appetizer, we ordered the Prawn and Fruit Salad. It is a refreshing dish as the lettuce is crunchy and chilled, topped with mango yogurt dressing (yogurt is suppose to be healthy right). The yogurt was only poured into the salad when the dish reached our table. I think this ensures freshness in the vegetables and not turn it soggy. However, I feel that the lettuce was a little bitter. There were also chunks of yellow fruits which we could not guess what was it until the end where my mom declared it to be jackfruit! There are also peaches and pineapples, making the salad sweet and refreshing. The prawns were normal.

Main Course:

My dad ordered Lamp Chops ($17.20)


The meat is succulent and juicy, with no hint of "yang shao wei" there is a slight smoked taste which i think covered the "yang shao wei". My dad commented he took quite long to chew the meat. It comes with "seasonal vegetables" which are just boiled vegetables (which consists of baby carrots, radish and asparagus) which in my opinion totally tasteless and undercooked.


My Mom ordered Fried Fish with Apricot Mayo ($14.90)


The apricot mayo tasted almost like the mango yogurt. The fish was crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside, the batter is good and not too thick with the right amount of batter and fish. It comes with coleslaw which helps to reduce the oiliness of the fried fish.

My Sis ordered Breaded Chicken Meuniere ($14.20)


Don't be deceived by the picture of dark looking piece of chicken, the chicken is actually very juicy and tender, fried till golden brown. Its just my camera's bad resolution. My sis commented that inside that piece of lemon are small bits of eggs! (If i did not hear wrongly). This set also comes with coleslaw however, my sis found a small piece of plastic inside!! I think it might be from the plastic containing the coleslaw =/


Lastly, I ordered: Beef Goulash with Potato ($15.90)


In my opinion the BEST DISH OF THE NIGHT. This beef stew is really to my liking. The brown sauce has a hint of many different spices somewhat tasted like curry and complements the mashed potato very well. However, my parents commented that it smelled of very strong curry spice which they did not like. But I totally love it. I think this dish is suitable for people who likes food with stonger tastes. It also comes with boring "seasonal vegetables" which i did not like. A thing to note however, I did not think the mash potato was "creamy" its just normal, plain mash potato without any seasoning, so without the awesome sauce, it would be tasteless.

Lastly, THE FIREHOUSE!! ($8.90)
Sorry no picture of it as we all happily gobbled it up before I remembered to take a pic. But i took a pic of it on the menu. Its just 3 scoops of ice cream with a banana in the middle and a lighted candle! Perfect way to end a birthday meal. A cake would be too filling.


Overall, it was a great meal!

Total cost of meal: $70 for 4 pax
Overall Rating: 4/5
Service: 4/5 Prompt and efficient, serving staff was really cheerful, but we waited quite long for the bill to come, I think they were too busy
Food: 4/5
Ambience: 4/5 Clean and Bright


Zeh zeh (not auntie) note:


Swensen’s – Changi Airport
Changi Airport Terminal 2
Mezzanine Level
Arrival Hall North
Phone: 6542 8219
Fax: 6542 8037

Opening Hours
10.30am-12am[Weekday]
8am-12am[Weekend]




No comments:

Post a Comment